Creative Wisconsin magazine is back!
The storied magazine supporting the publishing dreams of Wisconsin Writers Association members returns as an online periodical sent to the membership is open for submission.
In 2022 we will publish and email two editions in June and September.
What we are looking for:
Previously unpublished (posted on a blog or your own website is not considered previously published):
- Poetry (up to about 25 lines, please; ask about longer pieces)
- Short fiction – up to 2,000 words
- Book reviews – up to 500 words
- Nonfiction – up to 1,500 words
- Interviews – up to 1,500 words
- Artwork/photography (must be able to submit highres work) Art features for cover are welcome.
- News of your publication or contest wins or interviews or intriguing blogs
- Open to members of any writing organizations – please include membership info in your bio.
- Multiple submissions are welcome. However, space limitations will determine what is published.
- No payment at this time for published pieces. Wisconsin Writers Association/Creative Wisconsin requests one-time rights; you may submit your published piece to other publications and own all other rights.
- All submissions should be family friendly. Check the faqs page.
- If your work is chosen for publication, mild editing for appropriate punctuation/grammar, with appreciation for a particular style, and the understanding that you have or have gained permission to all rights to the information in your piece is assumed.
- Please include a 2-sentence third person bio with each submission.
- Attach your Word doc, or paste your submission in the body of your email. I don’t have time to convert other types of files, such as PDF, and those submissions will be automatically not selected.
Submissions are due two weeks before publication date, as follows:
DUE via email only before or by May 15, 2022 for publication in the June 1, 2022 edition
DUE via email only before or by August 15, 2022 for publication in the September 1, 2022 edition. Note: fewer pieces may be accepted for this edition due to publication of the Jade Ring winners and placers.
Submissions and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
We receive multiple submissions per day. If you don't hear back from us within 6 weeks, you may follow up.
NOTE: To order bound copies of the Creative Wisconsin Literary Journal, the journal with past years' Jade Ring winners, from Amazon, click below. In 2022, the Journal is being discontinued and winners will be found in the magazine.